Meet The Town Clerk
Meet the Town & City Clerk - Mark H. Bernacki
Mark H. Bernacki was re-elected to his third term as town & city clerk in November 2021. In this capacity, Mark also serves as New Britain's registrar of vital statistics, recorder of deeds, a chief elections officer, FOI and campaign finance guide, issuer of licenses and permits, and clerk of the common council.
Prior to serving as town clerk, Mark served nine terms on the New Britain city council (eight years as Council President), served four years as chairman of the police commission, and served on a charter revision commission. Mark and his wife, Maria, owned a small business in downtown New Britain for over thirty years.
Mark has been actively involved in New Britain civically, professionally, and politically since the early 1980s.
- Volunteer coordinator for Warm the Children (since 2004), a charity that provides new warm winter clothing to New Britain children in need. To date, Mark has helped to raise over $700,000 and to clothe over 12,000 children.
- Community Foundation of Greater New Britain, director, grants committee member, and catalyst fund member
- Connecticut Town Clerks Association, former chair of the Legislative & elections committee and a member of the technology, mentor, and education committees
- Connecticut State Library historic document preservation advisory board member
- Rotary Club past board member and secretary, scholarship committee member, literacy committee member, grants committee member, and NBHS interact club liaison. 2018 Rotarian of the year
- New Britain High School finance academy advisory board member
- National Federation of Independent Businesses, past co-chair of the CT leadership council
- Polish American Business and Professional Association, past board member and secretary
- Unico and Italian American Heritage Foundation, past board member
- Member of the New Britain Elks Club #957and the Middletown Kiwanis Club
- Corporator in many local organizations
Mark attained his Certified Connecticut Town Clerk (CCTC-2016) and Masters Connecticut Town Clerk (MCTC-2023) designations from the Connecticut Town Clerks Association and the Secretary of the State, received his MBA from the University of Hartford, a bachelor of science degree in computer science from Central Connecticut State University, and is a graduate of New Britain High School.
Mark also attained recognition for his professional and civic accomplishments by being selected as the 2022 YMCA Ken Griffen Compass Award, 2021 Above & Beyond Award and 2018 Connecticut Town Clerk of the Year by the Connecticut Town Clerks Association, being selected as the 2018-2019 New Britain/Berlin Rotarian of the year, 2018 New Britain/Berlin Lions Club leadership award, 2019 Republican town committee Blogoslawski-Mylinarczyk award, and 2021 Community Foundation of Greater New Britain Foundation champion award.
Mark was born, raised, and resides in New Britain with his wife Maria. They have two children, Mark II and Marybeth.