Human Rights and Opportunities
The mission of the New Britain Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities (CHRO) is to work with legislation in raising awareness and protecting human rights, dignity and respect for all people. CHRO receives, processes and refers complaints that relate to human rights, affirmative action, inclusion, equal employment and fair housing opportunities to the appropriate agency
The Principle of Fair Housing
Not only is it national law and national policy, but a fundamental human concept and right for all individuals to recognize that complete success in the goal of equal housing opportunity can be realized with the commitment of raising awareness and affirmatively furthering equal opportunity and fair housing in our community.
- Support, promote and raise awareness to the public with regard to fair housing laws, thus preventing housing discrimination.
- Support and participate in efforts that address tenant and landlord issues by providing procedural guidance and pamphlets on their rights and responsibilities.
- Network with City Departments and local agencies to further assist residents with their housing complaints.
- Collaborate with other community agencies and programs to connect people to the appropriate resources.
- Refer individuals who feel they are being subjected to housing and/or employment discrimination, to the appropriate personnel and/or state and federal enforcement agencies.
- The Human Rights & Opportunities Officer serves as the City’s Affirmative Action Officer and monitors the City’s Affirmative Action Plan.
The information on this website is for informational purposes only and is not intended to nor does it provide any legal advice.
Jerrell Hargraves, Human Rights & Opportunities Officerjerrell.email@example.com
27 West Main Street, Room 409
New Britain, CT 06051
Tel: (860) 826-3410
Fax: (860) 826-3407