** PRESS RELEASE - Traffic and Parking Restrictions **
Great American BOOM: Thursday, July 4, 2019
The following parking and traffic restrictions will be enforced in conjunction with the City of New Britain’s Great American BOOM Fireworks display on Thursday, July 4, 2019 at Stanley Quarter Park. These restrictions are necessary for the safe movement of both pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic at the festival site. Anyone traveling to the event should anticipate delays in traffic and should plan accordingly. The annual display is scheduled to begin at dusk at approximately 9:15 p.m. The rain date is scheduled for Friday, July 5, 2019.
The public should anticipate a delay in the movement of traffic through the areas surrounding Stanley Quarter Park. The New Britain Police Department will have uniformed Police Officers and Community Service Officers posted at various road closures and detours to assist with any traffic concerns. The New Britain Public Works Department, Central Connecticut State University Police Department, Newington Police Department and the Connecticut State Police will also be assisting to facilitate the safe and expeditious flow of traffic throughout the area. Please keep in mind the safety of pedestrians and other motorists. Your cooperation will be necessary to insure a safe and enjoyable holiday celebration for everyone.
On Street Parking: A one day parking restriction will go into effect at midnight on July 3rd and will end on July 4th at midnight; prohibiting parking on the South and West side of ALL city streets.
Any motor vehicles parked in violation of the temporary "No Parking-Tow Zone” signs, obstructing driveways, fire hydrants, intersections, crosswalks, double parked or parked in a position deemed to be hazardous will be ticketed and towed at the owner’s expense.
Parking on Eddy Glover Boulevard will be allowed on both the extreme north and south sides of the boulevard. There will be no parking allowed on or between the grass medians on Eddy Glover Boulevard and in between the grass medians encompassing the festival site. There will be NO PARKING ALLOWED on Stanley Street at any time during the evening.
We are encouraging all event attendees to utilize the following free parking locations:
1. CCSU Parking Lots and Garages
The parking lots and garages off of Ella Grasso Boulevard along with the Copernicus Garage on Paul J. Manafort Drive are the designated parking areas for this event. There will be New Britain and CCSU Police Officers assisting motorists to these parking areas. These lots are easily accessible from Route 9: Exit 29 (north and south bound) along with East Street and Stanley Street.
2. Costco 405 Hartford Road New Britain, CT
Parking is available inside the parking lot of Costco located at 405 Hartford Road New Britain, CT. This lot is accessible from Route 9: Exit 30 (north and south bound)
3. A.W. Stanley Park
There will be limited parking available inside A.W. Stanley Park located at 2159 Stanley Street in New Britain. This is also an alternate viewing area for the fireworks display.
4. Handicapped Parking
Handicapped parking with proper identification will be allowed inside the Stanley Quarter Park parking lot located directly across the street from Saint Francis Church on Stanley Street north of Ella Grasso Boulevard. There will be volunteers on hand to direct attendees to the appropriate parking area.
? At 5:00 p.m., there will be no eastbound traffic on Blake Road at Kim Drive. Traffic eastbound on Blake Road will be directed onto Kim Drive and/or McClintock Street.
? At 5:00 p.m., Stanley Street, between Barbour Road and Paul Manafort Drive - Francis Street will be closed to all motor vehicle traffic. Traffic southbound on Stanley Street will be detoured eastbound onto Barbour Road. Traffic northbound on Stanley Street will be detoured onto Francis Street.
? At the conclusion of the fireworks display (approximately 9:50 p.m.) the following traffic patterns and routes will be in effect:
1. Stanley Street between Blake Road and Francis Street will remained closed to vehicular traffic until the flow of pedestrians exiting Stanley Quarter Park has subsided.
2. Hartford Road will remained closed to vehicular traffic until the flow of pedestrians exiting the Event has subsided
3. There will be no eastbound traffic on Eddy Glover Boulevard between Commonwealth Avenue and Stanley Street. All vehicles in the Belvedere area neighborhoods will exit onto Eddy Glover Boulevard and be directed toward Farmington Avenue
4. There will be no access to Stanley Street from on Highland Terrace or Commonwealth Avenue.
5. All traffic leaving the Central Connecticut State University garages and parking lots on Ella Grasso Boulevard will be directed eastbound toward Route 9 North on ramp or Fenn Road in Newington
6. All traffic leaving the Copernicus Garage will be able to access Route 9 South on East Street however there will be NO ACCESS to Cedar Street. Motorists may also continue south on East Street toward Smalley Street for access to Route 9 North, the Harry Truman Overpass for Route 9 South or East Main Street for Route 72 West - Interstate 84 East and West. East Street at Newington Avenue may be used to access points in Newington and Route 15 North and South on the Berlin Turnpike.
7. All traffic leaving the Costco Parking Lot will be directed north toward Interstate 84 East and West or Routh 9 South or can they continue north toward the Westfarms Mall area
8. All traffic leaving A.W. Stanley Park will be directed toward Alexander Road for access to Interstate 84 East and West in Farmington
Fireworks Viewing Areas:
The fireworks display can be viewed from the following locations:
1. Stanley Quarter Park
2. A.W. Stanley Park
3. The CCSU Campus (parking garage roof tops are prohibited)
4. Walnut Hill Park
5. Washington Park
6. Batterson Park.
The following are strictly prohibited from the festival area: mopeds, bicycle riding, skate boarding, roller-skating, roller-blading, dogs and alcoholic beverages.
Any questions regarding this event may be directed to Lieutenant Julia Gallup at (860) 826-3070. Additional information can be located on the City Of New Britain’s web site or the New Britain Police Department’s Facebook page.
( View PDF )